Saturday, May 30, 2009

d20 years ago

Day 275 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I just realized that the picture of me here at Twisted Mind, is actually 20 years old. Yup, I was a mere pup of 24 when that photo was snapped.

I really should update it so as not to mislead my readers too much. I don’t look a whole lot different, but I sure don’t look that young anymore.

It was the picture taken of me when I first started at General Motors, at the Battery Plant in 1989.

My career with the Motors always saw me jumping from one fire to another and somehow avoiding layoff or plant closures. The Battery Plant, where I started, has long since closed down and been bulldozed out of existence. Only a month ago I drove out to the site to have a look. The only things that remain are the access roads - the rest is, as they say, history.

I had another multi-year stint at the North Fab Plant, as it was called. That one burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp as well (okay, it sold, sold again, sold once more, closed and then was finally bulldozed and scrapped) - after I got out of course.

And now, permanently away from the Motors, I see that Monday they will be filing for Bankruptcy. I managed to make the leap just ahead of the flames again.

What a screwed up company, run into the ground by a bunch of overpaid, well, Screw-ups.

We had a few rain storms the past few days and guess what?

The sunroof in my GM product decided it was going to start leaking. The car isn’t even two years old yet. Oh, and last year it needed to have the fuel rail and injectors changed because of a design screw-up of the engine.

Yes, I can emphatically say this will be the last Motors product I ever own. It’s just not worth the screw-ups you have to deal with from their product line.

It’s freeing to know that come next car replacement time I can buy whatever the hell I want. Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, BMW - anything but GM.

What is GM’s ultimate future?

If they continue to be run as they have been run all the years I was there - they will, within ten years, cease to exist and fall into the swamps forever.

GM, I’m afraid, will go down in the annals of history as the prime example of how not to run a business.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment