Saturday, April 11, 2009

reading nights

Day 226 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

It’s been around 15 years now (perhaps longer) that I have been attending, what our group calls, reading nights. Our group totals 11 people, not including guest writers, which we have on occasion.

Reading night is a monthly gathering of friends who share a love, well at least a strong like, of writing. During these monthly gatherings we share new works (as in read out loud) that we have created in the time between - or re-read things from ages past. Whatever, it doesn’t really matter.

What matters is the getting together and enjoying each others works and company.

I had the pleasure of reading the three short stories I eventually had published to this group before they hit published status. There is something wonderful in having a live audience reacting to your written words - no matter what the reaction is. It helps the finished product in the end.

You may find this hard to believe, but despite these monthly gatherings, I’m not all that social - at least not to people I haven’t know for . . . say a decade or so. Just about everybody in our reading night group has been in it that long, or longer and so I have level of comfort I can easily take.

I also need to point out that our group is loaded with very intelligent individuals (excluding myself, of course - I’m just nuts) and everybody has read works worthy of publishing - and some have gone on to do just that besides myself.

I call our group “the Second Saturday Psychos” - perhaps the others don’t like it. Still, I was the one that compiled our first PDF short story collection, so I got to choose the name.

And why that name? Well, it’s because we meet every second Saturday of every month. And okay, I may be the only true psycho - but there you have it.

Tonight (being a second Saturday) is one such night, and I will be reading my new short story (well I read it last time, but it is substantially altered and revised and only two other people heard it)

It’s great fun reading your works to others and, if you are a writer, you should seek such company to do so.

Well, I'm off to get my daily writing hours in . . .

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment