Thursday, April 30, 2009

departing knowledge

Day 245 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I know the title today should have been “imparting knowledge”, but I feel like I’ve forgotten more about the art and business of writing than I’ve retained.

Going into a high school English classroom today to talk about being a writer should be an interesting experience for me. I hope I don’t disappoint.

Thinking back on my own high school days, I don’t know how much attention I was spending on the actual teachers - I was busy wondering if my zits were showing, looking at girls I liked, and wondering when the class would end so I could go play tennis, or ski, or snowmobile, or do just about anything else.

It is important, I think, to try and make some impression on those starting out. I would like to think that I could be a little bit inspirational, if only to let them know that there are so many paths in life that you don’t have to be lead down any particular one - especially forced down them by others.

But, I will likely come off as some ancient (not-with-it) dotard that wasted their time, and they will be looking at the clock, or potential boyfriend/girlfriends and wondering when they can get out of there.

So the drill, from what I understand, will be to introduce myself, then read my short story (The Treatment) and let them ask questions afterwards.

And the terror of all presenters trapped in a room? - what if there are no questions and I'm left standing there looking like and acient dotard . . .?

Well, tomorrow you will get an account, good or bad, or somewhere in between of what went down.

And this opportunity (gee, ya think I timed it like this?) comes on my very last official day as a corporate cube squatting slave - a true transition into that of full time writer.

As to bringing an apple - I’m allergic to them . . . go figure.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment