Tuesday, April 21, 2009

cello dad

Day 236 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

You’ve all heard of soccer moms - but how many of you have heard of cello dads?

Well, you are about to.

Truth be told, I’m only a part-time cello dad since my daughter’s in home lessons are conducted by my wife. And no, I do not drive a mini-van. Cello dads prefer two door sports car type transport, thank you.

This morning I’m off to my daughter’s cello lesson solo . . . with my daughter - which technically is not solo - but my wife is off to work, so, it’s solo for me to be assistant . . . if you get me.

I take notes during her lesson so she knows what to work on during the week. Now, this may sound easy, but unless you know what trills, drops and shifts and a plethora of terms and classical cello pieces are and mean, then you would be as lost as I am. All that technical jargon is challenging to learn. Now if it were phase converters or quantum singularity drives, well, I would have less trouble . . .

Anyway, I scribble down the terms down and I am making an effort to learn and catch up, but my daughter and wife have been at it for years and for me - I’ve never played a cello in my life. Oh, I’ve tried it once - and incase you were wondering it is one dang hard instrument to play.

So, I need to feed the offspring and pack the car and head out in less than half an hour.

I even needed to wake up this morning to an alarm clock. Can you believe that!

Oh, I do not miss mandatory rising at all.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment