Friday, April 24, 2009

book learn'n

Day 239 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I’ve been spending some time watching well plotted shows and reading books about how to plot. Well, not specifically books about how to plot, but ones that deal with it in more than just a footnote kind of way.

The show I’ve been watching is season 5 of Angel (for the first time) and I’m trying to keep a close eye on how it’s crafted.

The books I’ve been reading are “The Screenwriter’s Bible” and “The Art of Dramatic Writing” and “Hero with a Thousand Faces.

And the a fiction book I’m reading right now is “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” and I must say, Rowling is a veritable master of plot and foreshadowing.

What I mean by this is every scene in “Goblet” has significance to forwarding the story (mine don’t always, so me bad, but I’m working on it). She is able to set up great foreshadowing that really pays off for those following along (like in Angel) and besides all of that, she is a very good writer.

I’ve always been of the opinion that if a book is masterfully plotted it can suffer in the writing and still be a great book. If the book is masterfully written but the plot is full of holes and just plain sucks, then the book (in my opinion) is not a great book. If a writer can pull off a master plot coupled with excellent writing - Bingo! And hence the fame (well deserved) of the Rowlings of this world.

So, putting it all together, I’m trying my best on my novel re-write to make sure every scene has some kind of plot significance or foreshadowing, or at the least, a thematic resonance and go from there. It’s going to be a rather short novel (like mayber 200 pages or less), like novels used to be back in the 60s and 70s.

Oh, and in case you want to argue about other types of books (I know, I know there are many) I’m going on about plot type books because those are the ones which appeal to me the most and those I have a desire to write.

Then some day, in the mists of time, maybe what I come up with will be discussed in a blog somewhere - and I hope the person, or persons, writing it with have thought my plots were well done . . .

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment