Thursday, March 05, 2009

life on the fringe

Day 189 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Life seems to be going along at warp speed these days - must be a product of busy, busy times.

My wife is working a lot lately, and I’m getting up, as you know, 5:00 AM every day.

What does poor soul do in situations like this?

Why, load up an old computer game of course, and have at it in the evenings.

The old game I speak of is, Tachyon: The Fringe.

Why is this old space combat/opera game such a hoot? Well, for one, you play Jake Logan. And Jake Logan is voiced by none other than Bruce Campbell himself – and yes, his quips are pretty much what you would expect if you have seen any of the Evil Dead movies.

I just fired this old (okay, maybe the year 2000 isn’t old, relatively speaking) game onto my new XP machine and voila – works like a charm. I cranked everything up to maximum in the control panel and it plays (so far) without a hitch or glitch.

The game engine itself is the latest Wing Commander engine (from 1999 or 2000), but don’t let that fool you. The visuals are pretty darn decent and the game is not impossible to play. Your ship shields and hull are pretty robust so you can stay in those dogfights for quite a while before having to bail.

And your weapon options are many. Each faction, of two you can eventually choose from, has six ship designs to configure - ton of replay value here. Oh, and the missions are not just, go here and kill these people, etc. Much thought went into the missions and how they tie into the overall story arc.

Well done Novalogic!

Overall, I’m having a fun time (ie: stress relieving time) with this one – um, can’t you tell?

Yeah, I am a PC game junkie – so sue me.

Oh, and just in case you thought I was doing nothing but gaming and ignoring my writing these days – well, I have only 40 more pages left to edit before I start on the re-writes for Typhoon rising . . .

So there.

And I should start the re-write by April 1st or so with the goal of having it ready for publisher’s eyes by July 1st

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment