Sunday, March 22, 2009

keeping score

Day 206 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Can you believe I’ve been at this for over 200 days?

Reaching that goal of 365 doesn’t seem quite so insane now as it originally had. In fact, any goal which is not completely outside the realm of possibility can be achieved - if you have a will and a plan to make it happen.

I think it is truly sad that most of the human race gets hoodwinked into thinking that reaching for their goals is somehow “not what you should be doing”. Maybe as children we hear the word “no” so many hundreds or thousands of times that it becomes our natural auto-response to trying anything outside the socially accepted “norm”.

I think the majority of us get funneled into what “we should be doing” and lose track of what we “aught to be doing”. Countries and governments thrive on this kind of hive behaviour.

I was not kidding in an earlier post about (2010, the year I make contract) when it comes to my writing.

My “goal” is now starting to take on major significance and it is one I am going to be working very hard at achieving for the balance of this year and into the next.

I attribute Twitter in part for helping me form this unflappable mind-set because I’m following about 30 writers, writers who are doing their thing and selling their wares - it makes me sit up and realize that it (writing novels and getting them published), in fact, can and will be done.

Amber Benson (Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) has just published a novel. Yah, you heard right. Go to Amazon and google her and you will see.

And Bill Shatner, for god’s sake, has several novels to his name. Shatner! If he can do it, there is no stopping me.

Okay, maybe they had star power behind them to help convince publishing houses that they were a pretty safe bet - so what? In the end it’s the story and the writing that ultimately matters.

But I am not so naive as to not understand that writing is a business, and sellers want only those product they can push and make money from. Luckily for me, my stuff is not so far off mainstream as to be unsaleable. I do hope it’s just slightly better than the average though - and (at the cost of sounding like an arrogant twit) I think it is better.

Every once in a while I have to give myself one of these little pep talks because feedback is not always forthcoming from other quarters of the universe.

I have been writing for over twenty years now - that has got to be a good resume for writing success, no?

Anyhow, now it’s back to my writing and book-learning.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment