Tuesday, February 03, 2009

the long hard road

Day 159 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

is before me and I don’t have winter tires or 4 wheel drive or a decent map.

Still, I think (and hope) I can handle it.

The travail I speak of – finishing my Sci-Fi novel this year.

I looked over all the material I gathered for my Sci-Fi novel last year, and the year before and even scanned some of the chapters I wrote – and I was surprised to find that it doesn’t suck. In fact, it’s actually pretty damn good and I’m actually excited about the story itself.

My only big fear is not being a good enough writer yet to pull it off in the manner I would like. Even though I’ve been writing every day, honing my skills, to really make this puppy fly with the big boys (and girls) it is going to have to be well written.

As is written, and re-written, and re-written and re-written – rinse and repeat.

I think Grisham rewrote everything like 7 times before sending it to his publisher. Holy ol crap. You see – big boy.

That is not going to stop me from trying, of course, but it will have me doubting my abilities every word of the way.

But as a writer I do know first drafts usually equate to animal droppings. Only after careful siftings and organization can the seeds be told apart from . . . Er, okay, not a great metaphor here.

Let’s just say after you have the diamond written, it takes a ton of polishing to make it shine.

I think what I am going to do, by year’s end, is put up the first three chapters (after re-writing 7 times) and see what bites.

However, self-promotion is not my strong point. In fact it’s not really a point at all but a blunt, worn and chewed eraser end. I may have to rethink strategies once I have my work in order and ready to present.

For now, as an aspirin though published author, I can concentrate on the task at hand and just write and edit for the year.

Wish me luck . . .

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment