Monday, January 19, 2009

broke back

Day 144 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I am gay.

As in happy - not the other slangy meaning of the word. I have some new plans.

I am also in a bit of pain. Three times shoveling the driveway yesterday and, though my mind doesn’t want to believe it, I am not getting any younger.

I know now why so many writers live in apartments or places that don’t get snow. It’s hard to concentrate on writing when your back is murdering you.

Man dies from rare back attack.

Actually, it’s not quite fatal. I can still walk, a few paces.

This week should see me finish short story number two for the year so far. I am altering my plans a bit though. Once that short story is finished I’m going to do a complete rewrite of my novel.

I kind of want to have it ready for submission by the end of this year. That does not mean short stories won’t squeak in there now and again, but most of my morning writing time will be taken up in spit and polish - I am hoping more polish than spit.

Toward that end I have actually cleaned up my writing room. A table, which was once a staging area of detritus, is now clean of debris.

It helps my mental state to be writing in a fairly well organized, though stuffed with cool things (books, DVDs, computers, pictures, miniatures . . .), space. I recall a picture long ago of Ray Bradbury’s writing space. Mine is not quite as flamboyant, but similar.

Well speaking of writing, I should get at it. I am really trying to keep at 30 minutes a day every weekday.

So far, so good.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment