Friday, December 05, 2008

sad news

Day 99 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I arrived at work yesterday - continued puttering away at my work as unusual - to get a phone call from my wife at about 8:00 AM.

My immediate thought upon seeing our home phone number displayed so early in the morning on my work call display was - what could be wrong?

Maybe my daughter was sick? Maybe a water pipe was leaking? Maybe I forgot my lunch?

It was much worse.

Our neighbour Bill had died of a heart attack in the night and there were two police cars, a fire truck and an ambulance all flashing their lights through our front windows.

Holy crap!

This is the same guy I waved too as I drove on my way to work two days ago. He was taking his time shoveling the light snowfall that had accumulated in the driveways.

He was all bundled up for winter including a deer-hunter type hat. Bill - dead and gone.

Holy crap!

We both shared a love of organic lawns too. No toxic “Weedman” poisons for us. The bunny rabbits loved our lawns and would sneak under our mutual fence to harvest the latest dandelion leaves from either patch.

I’m so sad for Pam his wife, and embarrassed to say I don’t even know their son’s name. He would come visit them on occasion but I was never really introduced.

Holy crap!

He was one of the kindest fellows a person could ever want as a neighbour. I’m really going to miss him.

Whenever somebody I know passes on, despite my gruff exterior, it does hurt. But it also reminds me that we are mortal and should really pursue our dreams and passions because one day - poof - two police cars a fire truck and ambulance arrive and it’s game over.

All that stuff you wish you had done has passed you by.

So, starting in January, come continued job or unemployment, I’m getting my creative juices flowing again with my writing, music creation and audio extravaganzas.

I’m going to miss you Bill.

Holy crap!

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment