Thursday, December 04, 2008

good play

Day 98 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Yup, another Thursday tennis review.

Several factors contributed to my winning ways during last night’s tennis matches.

I’ve started weight training again every Sunday - something I stopped doing about six months ago. Silly me. My upper body strength is returning and really had a positive effect last night on the courts. Why, or why, did I stop doing this?

I’m getting used to my 58 pound string tension and am finding it so much better than the 60 pounds I’ve been using on my new rackets. Doesn’t sound like much, but when you need to volley like McEnroe, tighter strings just don’t do the job.

My hand, which has been causing me such pain lately, is finally starting to heal. It took only the warmup time before the irritating sharp pains went away on contact with the ball.

And lastly, I didn’t bother taking any pain killers last night - but this was a positive. Instead of those little aches and pains being muted (and suffering slight sided effects of ibuprofen) I lived with them and felt more natural on the court last night.

So, final tally was 14 games won and 13 games lost.

Oh, you thought I did better?

Well three of us got 14 and one got 12, if that helps. So, technically, I was top of the court (with two other guys).

Oh, and once again I was the oldest on the court too with the next being about 35, then 25 and then a 17 year old fast kid.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment