Monday, December 22, 2008

Charlie Brown’s sister drove one

Day 116 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I used to own an 1966 Ford Mustang. It was “antique bronze”, had a 289 V8 and was completely classic even sporting original wheels.

I sold it about 15 years ago now since I was living in an apartment and couldn’t work on it - and if you own classic cars, well, you just have to work on them - trust me. I’ve always had a thing for Mustangs - maybe it’s a guy thing, I don’t know?

The newer version still looks great to me and I am actually thinking about getting one. I know we are coming out with the Camaro next year, but still, the Mustang (for looks at least) rules the road for me.

When I was a kid I owned two 1969 Mustangs - neither of which ever ran. The first was a wreck that had it’s front end right wheel crashed in but a working motor and transmission. The second was a Mach 1 with no motor or transmission but a good body and interior.

I was to pull a Frankenstein and merge the beasts together to have a decent set of wheels - before I was 18.

Despite the hours of work I put in on the two cars I never got them totally stripped and put back together as I had planned. Story of my life here perhaps?

Anyhow, they were eventually sold as a pair for 1,000 bucks which helped defer the cost of my education - and that era came to an end. It would have been sweet to actually have gotten it running during my high school years.

No regrets though, and I did own a 1966 years later. I learned a lot about cars stripping those 1969s down - most notably - there is always one bolt on every assembly which will break no matter how much WD-40 or heat you apply beforehand.

And you always thought I was a Chevy guy, didn’t you.

See, I’m just full of surprises - and other less olfactory appealing stuff . . .

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment