Friday, December 26, 2008

24 hrs of pugilism

Day 120 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Christmas was a great success here and my daughter even went so far as to comment that “it was the best Christmas ever” - which leads me to wonder how we failed during the previous eight . . .

I think she is just at that perfect, magical age, when dreams really do come true and fairies are real.

We have maybe a couple more years before the fairy dust settles into the cracks or is sucked up by the vacuum, not to return until it infuses little ones of her own.

What a fantastic time of life for her - I hope she remembers these times with joy later in life.

Oh, I’m not saying my age is no longer fun, but that belief in magic, real magic, is something wonderful.

And it’s kind of sad that, as we grow into adults, we lose that belief by peering at life through the harsh glasses of reality.

As a writer I try to think back and capture those magical moments and fuse them into fiction (well, after I twist if and put on an icing of horror that is), but it is quite hard to get the balance just so.

And, as any writer knows, writing is just about the most difficult profession on this planet. The act itself may not seem too daunting, but even after you create your masterpiece (well, subjectively speaking and through much sweat and toil) you have the thankless Sisyphus task of rolling if uphill and having it stick.

I don’t ever do it, but this year I’m going to blog my resolutions - and I’m not talking 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768.

No, I’m going to outline a post-automotive writing plan and see if I can stick to it and not stop until I achieve every writing goal (realistically derived, of course) I can.

I also need to get the script writing software on my new computer and delete it off my old.

Audio program needs loading again as well so I can do some audio blogs.

And the music creation software needs to go on too.

I have much to do, but for the rest of this Holiday season I am going to read, hang with my family and play Arkham Horror a time or two with good friends.

On a closing note, we watched “It’s a Wonderful Life” last night. It really is a great movie and I love watching Stewart travel down his dark path to the point of alienating his entire family before heading for the bridge. What a great bunch of scenes.

Well, I must away ere break of day.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment