Thursday, November 27, 2008

three in a row

Day 91 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

-three in a row-

Well, last night marks the third week in a row I was at the bottom of the heap on the worst court.

Only 11 out of 27 possible games won.

Time to start facing a few facts.

1) I’m not young anymore.

2) I’m really out of practice.

3) Don’t got game.

There, that admission wasn’t too tough to swallow.

Last night’s excuses include - I was using new strings at a looser tension (which I liked, by the way but will take some time adjusting to). My hand was hurting me for almost the whole first hour. I’ve put on a couple of pounds (too many cookies, beers and treats about the house) and so, was a half-step slow on getting most balls.

But I hate giving excuses. The reality is I just wasn’t very good. My wife says I’m too hard on myself.

She is probably right.

Still, it is difficult to live in the now with my current (lack of) abilities when I used to be ranked a 6.0.

And just so you know, a ranking of 6.0 would let you compete on the Satellite circuit which is only one step below the ATP professional tour. No, really.

I would actually rank myself around a 4.0 to 4.5 right now. See the slide.

On the positive side, it still is fun and great exercise - just a little disappointing and frustrating.

I will continue though, but am having a hard time realizing that I just don’t have it anymore - at least not like I used to.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment