Wednesday, November 12, 2008

a short fallout 3 review

Day 76 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I know I was to have my daughter’s cello playing up today, but I still don’t have half of my programs loaded onto “the beast” yet and so can’t create mp3s at the moment.

But, as you know and fear, I do have Fallout 3 loaded.

If you could care less about computer games feel free to skip the rest of this post - I’ll pick up with non-computer game related stuff tomorrow.

And, as you also know or can guess, I can’t concentrate worth a spit with all this stuff going on in my work spot. Very distracting.

So, to take my mind off of the current situation, I head out into the Wastelands . . .

. . . First off I would have to say this may be the finest video game I’ve ever played so far. And for those who know me, you know that means many, many, (way too) many games.

If you have played the first two Fallout games, then you know how fun Fallout can be - but perhaps not how absolutely scary it can be.

And this game is scary. It reminds me a lot of Doom 3. You explore a lot of dark places and hear the sighing and stomping of creatures ready to rip your insides out. Luckily for you there is a wide variety of weapons, from baseball bats to bazookas, to help you deal with these pests.

You have many skills which you can upgrade when you go up a level. Things like sneaking, picking locks, hacking computers or small guns. Just like you would expect.

Have I mentioned the visuals are second to none. When you are traveling around you are really there. Of course, the rig you run it on plays a big part. I happen to have a GTX 260 overclocked card which makes all the difference I’m sure.

There is just so much to see and do in the Wastes, and you are given complete freedom to do them. You can be a total ass and rob or kill anybody and everybody you like, or be the shining knight in leather armor for those less fortunate than yourself.

Whatever you want, you can do it.

I’m just at a point now where I’ve discovered the subway. Wow, is about all I can say about it. The environments created for this game are mind blowing. Couple this with giant ants that breathe fire and you have a total winner in my books.

And the VATS combat system is great. You cue up your shots, ala the old style Fallout using action points, then watch them unfold in 3D slow-mo ala Peckinpah. Very, very cool.

And I have yet to encounter one problem (I do have the patch installed though) that others have ranted on about and SecuRom has given me zero issues as well.

If you have the machine to run it, you will not be disappointed to play this game. It’s a bit bleak, but hey, what do you expect after the bombs fell.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment