Wednesday, November 26, 2008

personal string theory

Day 90 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Tennis is the hardest racket sport of them all. I kid you not.

And the strings you use and how tight you have your racket strung makes a difference.

I used a Max 200G for about 20 years until I switched to the Maxply McEnroe two years ago. And, I’m still figuring out how tight to string my new rackets and what string to use.

It was a piece of cake on my Max 200Gs. The tension was 58 pounds and I used 15 gauge Sensation string.

It’s what I practiced with over thousands of shots and what I got used to.

With the new rackets - I’m not quite sure yet.

I’ve tried 60 pounds (too tight in my opinion) with both 15 gauge and 16 gauge Sensation. I just broke the 16 gauge on Saturday so needed to make another choice.

I’m going to go with 58 pounds 15 gauge and see how that holds up. I will get to play with my new strings tonight.

I have a feeling I may have to string my rackets even looser. I like the feeling of the ball on the strings for a longer time than tight strings allow. Loose strings though give you a little less control and more power so it’s a trade off.

Going back a ways Borg used to string his racket at 85 pounds and McEnroe at 45 pounds, so you can see the range that you can get used to.

I need to find the tension I like and then stick with it. I’m thinking the Maxply will be the racket I use for the rest of my “career” so I should be able to figure it out in say - twenty years?

Well, off to the work spot and more office speculations.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment