Thursday, November 13, 2008

old bones

Day 77 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I was back to tennis again last night after a break, and I have to admit - I am not 20 anymore - at least my body isn't.

Sad, but true.

What advise can this aging tennis player give to other aging tennis players?

Do all you can not to get injured. I sat out a week and a half because of my hand, which is getting better, but still caused me problems last night.

I’m not sure if I actually broke a bone in my hand or only sprained it, but whatever happened, it lowers my game a notch or two and has me taking a little better care of my body on the courts now.

And, almost like clockwork, I can tell when I have been playing for 1 ½ hours - because that is the time my left ankle begins to hurt me a whole bunch. I even pop two Ibuprofen before every match. Maybe that’s the time the pain killers start wearing off?

So, all that said, I won 11 games last night and lost 16. I wasn’t playing full out for fear of making my hand worse, but I still managed to hit a few awesome volleys and overheads - so all was not lost.

And, despite my griping, I actually feel a whole lot healthier for having gone out to play for two hours.

So, never give up on the sports you love to play no matter your age - just be aware that as bones age they have a tendency to get injured a wee bit easier and recover a wee bit longer.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment