Tuesday, November 25, 2008

losing common cents

Day 89 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

It looks as though the excessive culture we have spawned here in fat North America is grinding to a snails’ crawl.

Environmentalists rejoice!

Do we all need to consume so damn much stuff all the time anyway? Do each and every one us really need a car? How many “all you can eat” buffets are enough already?

I’d say it’s high time we started living within our means and not on credit.

But this type of attitude and behaviour comes at a price. If you don’t consume like a maniac, well all those people making consumables go out of work because the demand drys up.

Vicious cycle, isn’t it?

I read somewhere that we are consuming 30 % more than the Earth can replace. Maybe this downturn will see us consuming 40 % less and put us back on a path of environmental sustainability?

But Uncle Sam and Cousin Pierre don’t want you doing anything quite so conscientious. No, lets pump billions back in the bloated excess system and try to get those fat wheels grinding down everything in their path once more.

It just takes too much brain power and thought to make any other kind of system work.

And so, here we are, on the verge of jobless rates not seen in a long while and I wonder if all those jobless numbers from way-back-when included the stay at home moms and dads?

Seems to me when I was growing up one parent (usually the mom) was at home with the kids, you know, looking after them instead of letting them run wild plugged into electronic gizmos.

I have a feeling we have lost our way wallowing in excess and are going to fall down, hard. I mean, does every new house need to be 4000 square feet? I mean really, how often are people there anyhow what with two power jobs on the go to pay for it?

Insanity I say.

And if you don’t think the kids of today are worse than the kids of yesterday - please pull your head out of your ass. Kids of two working parents may have lots of material wealth, but are lacking in behaviour wealth.

I mean, if both parents are more concerned about making cash, getting a bigger house and going on trips than they are about bringing up little Johnny, don’t you think little Johnny is likely to get the wrong message and turn into a little materialistic A-Hole?

Okay, enough ranting from me. I’ll put my teeth back in now, go out on the porch and yell at the kids walking to school by themselves to “Get the hell off my organic lawn!”

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment