Saturday, November 15, 2008

comes the snowman

Not too bad, considering it’s getting on in November already.

But I know what is coming - and I don’t like it.

No sir, I don’t like it one little bit.

The snow storms I can handle. It only makes the commute a bit longer. No, it’s not the snow itself that bothers me overly much - No, it’s the idiots that don’t know, and will never learn how, to drive on it.

You know the types. You’ve seen them. Barreling along like it’s the middle of July on a major highway, tailgating and out of control.

They drive SUVs mostly.

They think just because they have a big vehicle and winter tires they are immune to physics. Yes, they are out there, and I sure as hell hope I don’t have to deal with too many of them anytime this winter.

I’ve never used winter snow tires on my car.

Ever.

Why?

Because around here you really only need them maybe one, two days of the year. All you need are some good driving skills, patience and, oh yes, that most absent and elusive of human qualities - common sense.

You see, all it takes is to use the brain in your head to know that if it is snowing like hell, maybe, just maybe, you should reduce your speed a bit and not tailgate?

And if it is a real snow storm, say 30 + cm within four hours - then stay the hell home for Cripe’s sake.

Makes sense - ya think?

So, it’s coming.

Next week we are in for our first bunch of the stuff.

The news will make it sound like an apocalypse. Maybe we should start naming any of our snowfalls over 1 cm like Hurricanes? They get treated like that already by the media so why not go the whole distance?

So, please, I beg of you. Don’t drive like an ass on the slippery, snow covered roads this winter.

Now, where is my shovel?

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment