Monday, November 24, 2008

career choices

Day 88 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Yup, 1988 - the year I graduated from Ryerson. See, I am an old bugger.

Holy Crap that seems like a long time ago now, doesn’t it? And I didn’t even want to graduate from there in the first place.

No, I wanted to go to U of T for Phys-Ed. But, after one year of Engineering at Ryerson I was convinced (badgered more like) to keep at it and not pursue the Phys-Ed path which would lead to earning less money than an Engineer.

I even applied to U of T and got in. I was pretty excited about it back then and really looking forward to trying out for their tennis team.

Choices are what make up a life. I should have stuck to my guns and done the Phys-Ed like I wanted. Oh, I did okay as an Engineer, but never really liked it and Ryerson only had a Badminton team (which I played on for two years) but no tennis team.

So, Engineering it was. It pays the bills, keeps me in DVDs and computer games, and that’s about it.

I was doing some reading about doing a job you love vs. what I chose. It seems you actually save more money making less doing what you love because you don’t compensate as much after hours.

. . . like computer games and books and movies and DVDs and “stuff”.

Why can’t this information be imprinted on the four year old mind? It would save a whole lot of hassle later down the road.

So, if you are just starting out on this journey called life, go for a job that will satisfy your passions, not the prospect of money alone.

All that money doesn’t do you much good if you only blow it on distractions.

Now, if only I could time warp back to 1984 and do it all over again.

And - so as not to sound too whiny or full of regrets - remember life really is what you make of it and attitude is everything despite what choices you make along the way.

I have a great family and life right now, so only the profession choice was a screwed up one.

Not bad, not bad at all really.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment