Monday, October 27, 2008

selfish or selfless

Day 60 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

If you had one wish in this world, anything at all - what would it be?

Now, if this isn’t a good story starting idea, I don’t know what is. Just how many deal-with-the-devil and the-contract-is-up stories can you think of?

We, as a sentient species, have a great desire for wishes and an even bigger one to see then come to be.

How many times have you heard, “I wish”, or said such yourself?

Most wishes, if they come to be, end in disappointment because it’s the wishing that keeps us going and not the having.

Or is it? Maybe it depends on the type of wish.

Well, all that garblygoop aside, what would it be?

Would you wish for something completely for yourself or for others? Would it be a grand wish or something small and virtually unnoticeable?

So many choices. Would we even know what to do if we were truly faced with such a decision?

And now, of course, you want to know what mine would be - don’t you?

Simple.

Perfect health until age 120 where I suddenly expire.

Sounds pretty damn selfish, doesn’t it.

But the flip side of having it granted would be how hard I could work at making others smile, taking away their small miseries, granting them a few moments of distraction through my many creative endeavours . . .

. . . and now I’m up against the wall facing the barrels. The masses don’t want wishes granted and will pay me for my arrogance with hot brass tipped projectiles.

It’s the old, “if we can’t have it why should they?” envy syndrome.

And comes the destroyer to level the field, then till it and place the bones beneath . . .

Wow, today’s post, upon rereading it, sounds rather like a drug induced hallucinogenic raving.

In fact, I’m only under the influence of caffeine and a good’s night’s sleep. For the mental health of myself and my readers - I better not continue this trend.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment