Thursday, October 16, 2008

moving on up

Day 49 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Maybe it was the new shoes - what I had for supper - the full moon - or, I’m just getting better.

Whatever the reason, I advanced last night with a win and move up a court for next week.

17 games won (out of a possible 27) and I played very well indeed.

Tennis is the game I speak of, for those reading this and thinking - Huh?

And I think I’m finally getting the hang of the new rackets I bought last year, but I did notice something last night which I suspected all along.

I like my strings looser, around 58 pounds to be exact. I have one racket strung like that and the other is at 60 pounds - now that doesn’t sound like muchof a difference, but believe me - I can tell from the way it feels.

You see, way back (when I was actually a threat on the court) I had my Max 200Gs strung at precisely 58 lbs. Any looser or tighter was not the sweet spot for me. So, instead of being talked into 60 pounds for my new racket (well one of them) I should have just stuck to my instincts and demanded 58 lbs.

So, I was using the 58 pound racket last night and had a lot more feel in my shots. The 60 pound one is a bit too stiff. I have no idea how Borg ever played at all with strings around 85 pound tension - just, holy wow. Then for contrast McEnroe had his racket strung at 45 pounds . . .

. . . And am I dating myself - or what?

Well, this concludes Thursday Tennis Talk. Now, I just have to maintain my skills and maybe I can move all the way up to court one by the end of the year.

Hey, I can dream.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment