Sunday, October 19, 2008

I like to watch

Day 52 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

Good old movies.

And there are lots of them and so little time in which to watch them. Was that a grammatically correct sentence? Not sure.

Anyhow, last night we watched a movie from 1944 called “Laura” and it was fantastic. No swearing, no CGI - just pure entertainment with good acting and a good script.

And the DVD held two A&E Biographies as extras which was very cool. I got to learn all about Gene Tierney (a.k.a. nutbar - well my opinion anyhow) and her electro-shock therapy, bad marriages, Superstardome, liaisons with Howard Hughes and JFK, and heart breaks along the way - all this happening before she hit 30.

I’m a bit sympathetic, but in her case I was kind of thinking - boo, hoo - take a look at your privileged life, stop crying on the pillow and get on with it already.

The other was Vincent Price. I had no idea he was such an art collector and critic. Fascinating. He was not a nutbar, and lived a full and long life.

Guess what I’m trying to say is I like the old movies that relied on acting and script more than today’s where those two qualities often take second stage to Franchise and Effects.

We are fortunate here in my small town to have our library interested in stocking a whole bunch of classics - so much to watch, so little time.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment