Thursday, September 25, 2008

need for speed

Day 28 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

I’ve been holding out for so long on dial-up it’s almost become an institution in my house - a backward, slow, kill you with boredom type institution.

The cost of having dial-up has been both inexpensive - and too dear.

For instance, I can “slowly” get the cool cartoon sites to load and feed my inner Geek. But when it comes to video uploading/downloading - I may as well just give it up.

Two programs I really wish I could have watched - “Dr. Horrible” and “The Guild” are pretty much denied to me for lack of speed. And the hi-speed I have at work blocks all the cool Geek culture stuff out there except Fark and Twitter.

So, what to do, keeping in mind that the only form of hi-speed I think I can get is wireless. I hate wireless. I really don’t want to be right in the middle of satisfying my YouTube Geek self and have the neighbours lawn mower screw me over . . .

. . . Have I ever mentioned how much I hate lawns?

But the time will surely come when I have to buckle under and move to wireless hi-speed. And I’m just as sure that by the time I get it, T1 line speed will be available to everyone and I’ll be back in the same slow boat to China . . .

And don’t even get me started on TV hookup.

But, over the years I must have saved thousands of dollars - but the price has been lose of Geek points along the way for missing some very creative and cool content out there.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have this pesky little novel I need to edit, and progress on it is quite slow.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment