Wednesday, September 24, 2008

favourite forms

Day 27 of 365 in the “Marathon of the Dope” . . .

.....................................................................................................

What do you like to read, and what do you like to write?

For me, reading pleasure comes in the form of novels, pretty much exclusively these days, with a node going to those novels which can come in around 300 pages or less and deliver the goods. Robert Bloch and Roger Zelazney rule (in my mind) in this regard. So, give me Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror please in “short” novel form. I also like reading factual things and am craving, in a big way, Science News Magazine once again.

Maybe the reading elves that sometimes drop by here will take that as a hint and get me a subscription again for Christmas - which is too gosh darn close already. Back off Santa! Put down that bag of toys - I’m not ready yet!

As for the enjoyment of reading short stories - not so much, even though I seem to be able to crank them out at an alarming rate when I set my frontal lobes to the task. I seldom, if ever, pick up and read a collection of short stories even though I write a lot of them.

And poetry? Um, forget it. I don’t really know why, but poetry does about as much for me as a swift kick in the . . . um, well you get the idea. Maybe it requires too much concentration to figure out, or the forms of today are mostly like text messages or something.

Now for writing.

Since I enjoy a good novel most of all, it would reason out that this would be my favourite form of writing - but I do seem to go for the short pieces of fiction over the novel in almost every case . . .

. . . good question though. Anybody who has attempted to write a novel knows how long and arduous a struggle it is. Truly a task worthy of Sisyphus or Hercules or Michael Jackson - but not the run of the mill human being I’m afraid.

I find writing short pieces much easier. I guess Harlan did too.

But I am working on editing my second novel right now and it is going well. I wrote the entire thing during NaNoWriMo 2007 - and was actually pleased with the results. And it is a “short” novel well below 300 pages. Should weigh in about 230 to 260 when all is tallied and done.

And short stories are a heck of a lot more work to market research and pedal for coins. And not too many coins at that.

I think on and dollars per hour payout, novels lick shorts easily.

So there you have it, my thoughts on fiction creation and the forms I like best to read and write.

And I meant no offense to poets - of which I have the greatest respect - it’s just that particular form of communication doesn’t do it for me.

Until tomorrow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment