Monday, July 28, 2008

secrets and dragons

I could string you along for a while, build up your anticipation of a fantastic conclusion about the “Secret Project” - then pull the chair out just before you sit down to get comfortable . . .

. . . but I’m a professional and as such I feel it my duty to not screw with your minds today. See, I’m not all bad.

What I can say is speculation about what is up with the project. So far (and even after a query) the silence still remains - which sounds like the silence after a death knell - but I see it as something entirely positive.

You see, if the “secret project” were to be discarded outright it would have by now. It has been a couple of months I know, but since there has not been an official word back canning the idea - it seems more and more likely that it is getting real consideration.

And for that I am hopeful, excited and bursting with anticipation to begin . . .

. . . but, let me sit down on this “Ummph!” - hey, who pulled the chair out!

So this should count as my writing update, and the hamster wheels in my brain continue to spin on the “Secret Project” every day and I can hardly wait to see if they can spin gold out of my twisted ganglia . . .

. . . or just a Gap T with a lame logo on the front - in off pink - velour - with a low V neck collar - for men . . .

............................................................................................................

Another area of interest (to me anyhow) is the workspot. Last week the feelers went out to workers, wondering if they would be interested in taking a wad of cash and saying bye bye.

The wad they offered me was significantly less that the wad I get if I give me the boot - so I declined and went back to my cube.

Won’t know what is really what until the dust settles. I expect that to be about the end of the first week in August.

More waiting.

Grrrr.

..............................................................................................................

Two other things I’ll discuss here. One is a computer game (I see the rolling eyes), the other is a TV show.

First the game - Baldur’s Gate 2

Holy mother of D&D (you think deceased Gygax would be offended by me calling him a mother? Do you think he is “rolling” in his grave? . . .) Is this a good game or what?

I’ve had quite a few years of playing the pen and paper (which is now pen, paper, plastic minis, battlemats, twelve manuals and supplementals, et cetera.)

Baldur’s Gate 2 I got as part of a Baldur’s Gate DVD collection which included BG1 and expansion as well as BG2 and expansion. Well, I tried playing BG1 again but, after many hours, finally gave it up.

Then, a few weeks ago, I thought I would load BG2 and fire it up. And I find it ten times better - no really it is that good. It is old AD&D rules, but it’s what I grew up playing in the first place. If you like computer RPGs, then you have to play this. It is the best one I have ever tried - and I’ve tried quite a few.

Second the TV show - Veronica Mars.

Started watching Veronica Mars, and, well, not really having me rushing back to the DVD player to pop in the next episode. Granted, we have only watched the first 3 episodes, and the last was by far the best - but it got so many comparisons to Buffy and Joss Whedon himself gave the show a nod - that well it is just supposed to be spectacular . . .

. . . but mostly I find every character dislikeable. Is this how it is supposed to be? They are all rich snots, except those that aren’t - but they are equally annoying. I find I just can’t care about any of the characters - including Veronica - in the least. If they all just DIAF, I would turn off the TV and call it a day . . .

“Not fair!” you scream.

I know. And this is my initial 3 episode in review. My views may change once I see more, but for now I don’t see the appeal. Buffy it ain’t, and the writing I don’t find to be stellar.

I may be just getting more jaded than usual with all that is transpiring in my life these days.

On the TV show upside - Bewitched Season 5 is just as great as I remember . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment