Monday, January 14, 2008

sad goodbye and joyful hello

Well, we all knew this day would come.

And it is never easy. One of our beloved pets (Harry the rat) has passed away and left a deficit of friendly furry fun in our lives.

It was very quick so he didn’t suffer much and I suspect it was either a heart attack or stroke. He was fine when we went to bed and deathly ill when we woke up. He was so weak the last few hours of the morning we knew he wouldn’t last and all we could do was comfort him until the end.

We had a nice little ceremony for Harry and now he resides just off our deck in the flower bed. Next spring we will plant a flower for him . . .

. . . but, since he didn’t fight off any bears for us, I think we won’t plant a red fern - maybe a daisy, not to imply that he was feminine or anything - because he was all male rat - just because I can’t think of flower names other than daisy right now. Call me horticulturally challenged.

I’m going to miss the little guy an awful lot.

But, it’s time to introduce two more active little men to our rat’s nest. Snow and Fluffy join Feather now (the old man who was very unhappy to be alone for a couple days after Harry’s death) and they are getting along wonderfully.

It’s not hard to see who is boss of the cage. Feather is, after all, about six times the size of the new guys. When one of the little guys gets too feisty, Feather just steps on them until they behave.

Needless to say my writing has been sidetracked and I haven’t achieved anything much this week. I’ll see what I can get done in this one coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment