Thursday, January 25, 2007

there goes that theory

Well, I thought I would be on Myspace, sucking wind, friendless and shunned by my real world associates.

But, it was not to be.

I have two friends now – actually doubling my quota for this life.

I’m not even going to tell you who they are.

You will have to kill me first . . .

Oh, right, some of you were going to kill me anyway.

So I’m reading Robert Sawyer’s website about writing, and I happen upon the section where he talks about “real” writers (misquote, sorry Rob) having a daily number of words to achieve.

Good sound advice for the aspiring writer.

I’m not even close to the bare minimum of 500 a day. Most pros crank around 1000 to 2000 a day.

You would think, with my distinct lack of friends, I would have all kinds of time for cranking.

Well, I do actually; I just don’t use it wisely. I play games, surf the net, set up Myspace accounts, or watch Farscape or Firefly . . .

Why do I do these things instead of writing 500 words a day?

I’m like electricity I suppose – I tend to take the path of least resistance.

Oh, and I use lame metaphors too.

So, I’m going to go over to Myspace (sticks out tongue) and send messages to my two new friends . . .

Have I got your gander up yet?

Hee hee.

One day, oh one day, I am going to get a life.

Which is not to say I don’t already have a great one - like married for 18 years this weekend and a fantastically gifted child.

Yeah, for real.

How cool is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment