Thursday, November 17, 2005

Musings: D3 In 3D


Okay, so I’ve been goofing off the last couple days skragging zombies and imps. It’s just that I’ve never seen such detail in a game before and it’s kinda freaky – and highly addictive. It is the next best to watching a movie – only you are in it, up to your knees in it, if you know what I’m talking about.

And if you haven’t played Doom 3, then you don’t really know of what I speak. And the screen shots of the game don’t do a thing to show you how photorealistic and atmospheric it is. And the shotgun, bless it steel chambered heart, reloads way too slowly. At least it seems like it in the heat of battle with imps frying your ass and zombies trying to make a meal of your intestines . . .

It’s not that I’ve done no writing; it’s just that some of my time that should be spent on writing has turned into gathering PDA information and getting to the next checkpoint to hear what advice sergeant Kelly has to offer. That slug is probably holed up somewhere surrounded by security bots protecting his sorry ass.

Err, it’s not real – the game I mean. And this slight distraction will go away once I enter hell and frag the big bad. Um, is this turning into a game review? And just how did I get in this fix? Well . . .

You see, it all started when I had this great idea. My friend had a copy of Doom 3, and I had a copy of Thief: Deadly Shadows, and I though, hey, why don’t we swap games since we hadn’t played the others yet. Good or bad move depending on your perspective.

The gamer in me says – Yeah baby, great move. Save on cash, play two fantastic games.

The writer in me says – Oh, shit, why do I do this to myself? I’m on a timeline here and writing should talk number one spot to the exclusion of all else . . .

I recall, years ago, reading about Piers Anthony. He talked about how he would never have become a writer if computer games existed when he was starting out. Way too fraking distracting. Now I know what Piers was talking about.

Crap - I may be Doomed . . .

It will certainly be one of my biggest hurdles moving forward in life, but one I know I can overcome. Just like I can defeat that demonic rat bastard boss in hell with the BFG . . .

Er, enough for now. I . . .

must continue to the next level of my career.

(Yeah, you can kinda read that two ways, now can’t you? . . .)

No comments:

Post a Comment