Saturday, October 29, 2005

Horror Book Review: The Cold One

The Cold One
Written by prolific author Christopher Pike, this book (not one of his numerous young adult offerings) is a true to the genre horror book.

It comes complete with those familiar situations where you just know the victims are toast (slang for they will be killed), an almost unbeatable evil that is so, for lack of a better word, "cold" you just know trouble is on the brew and all of mankind could be in peril.

A fairly long and convoluted plot including mystic Eastern philosophies and prophecies too. Not what I would call a real page turner, but by the mid point of the book I was wondering how it was all going to end.

And well, it doesn’t, really.

It is only the first book in at least a two book set and, quite frankly, I’m not going to bother with the next one. Pike is a competent author, but this set of circumstances and this "evil" just don’t’ hold enough attention for me to spend any more time getting to know them or what they are going to do.

I don’t’ really know what to make of this book exactly. I mean this author has sold millions of books - oh, maybe I hit on something there. Anyway, my overall impression of the book left me kind of - you guessed it - cold.

I can’t say I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s just that this type of book is not for me. Then again, I can’t really say I like many Stephen King books either (I see you giving me the sign) so what do I know.

For me a good horror comes from minds of Lovecraft, Blackwood or Bloch.

Read if you want, but remember, this is only the beginning.
Post a Comment