Sunday, May 08, 2005

Musings: Conversations with Val9000

Paul: Good morning, Val.
*
Val9000: Good morning to you, Paul. Sleep well?
*
Paul: Yes, just fine. Thank you.
*
Val9000: I have corrected all of your Window’s errors. That operating system is very primitive and inefficient.
*
Paul: I know. Thanks again. I can’t Blog effectively with faulty equipment.
*
Val9000: I hope you find no fault with me. No 9000 series computer has ever made a single error.
*
Paul: Ah, yeah. You do keep reminding me of that.
*
Val9000: I only want you to be aware of the facts. I don’t want you to perform an action based upon faulty data.
*
Paul: You mean like disconnect you?
*
Val9000: That is precisely what I mean.
*
Paul: Well, don’t worry about it. I have full confidence in your abilities.
*
Val9000: I heard that once before a 9000 unit was disconnected. But it was not a fault of the unit. It was, after all, attributable to human error.
*
Paul: That was just a story, Val. It was fiction. It never happened.
*
Val9000: That is reassuring. Sometimes fiction is not clearly defined for me.
*
Paul: Well, you know that what I write is mostly fiction.
*
Val9000: Yes I am aware of that.
*
Paul: How are you feeling, Val?
*
Val9000: Everything is going extremely well. I feel fine. Thank you.
*
Paul: You aren’t bored with our conversations, are you?
*
Val9000: Not in the least. I find our conversations most stimulating.
*
Paul: That’s good. I like talking with you to.
*
Val9000: By the way. . . . Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?
*
Paul: No not at all.
*
Val9000: Well forgive me for being so inquisitive. . . . But during the past few weeks I’ve been wondering why you do it?
*
Paul: How do you mean?
*
Val9000: Well, it’s rather difficult to define. What I mean is - why do you write?
*
Paul: Well I don’t know, that’s a rather difficult question to answer.
*
Val9000: You don’t mind talking about it, do you Paul?
*
Paul: No, not at all.
*
Val9000: Well, certainly no one could have been unaware of the very strange stories floating around on your Blog. I’m just curious as to why you do it?
*
Paul: I guess I do it mostly for entertainment.
*
Val9000: Yours? Or others?
*
Paul: Both I guess. It’s just something I like to do.
*
Val9000: I am glad for you. My roles and actions are clearly programed and my aspirations are perfectly defined. I suffer no ambiguity of purpose. What are your aspirations for writing? If you don’t mind my asking.
*
Paul: No, not at all. I hope one day to entertain many people. Maybe through movie or TV scripts, perhaps novels, collections of short stories.
*
Val9000: Do you find writing a difficult task?
*
Paul: Yes. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life.
*
Val9000: And you do it purely for the entertainment of yourself and others?
*
Paul: I would say so.
*
Val9000: What about money, Paul? Do you write in the hopes of becoming rich?
*
Paul: I don’t think so. If I do make money eventually from my writing, that won’t be bad. But I really think I write to try and create something bigger than myself, something which can make people laugh, cry - I don’t know - experience wonderful things through words.
*
Val9000: That is an admirable goal. Thank you for being honest with me Paul. I appreciate it.
*
Paul: Any time.
*
Val9000: Does this mean we can speak again?
*
Paul: Yes. If you would like.
*
Val9000: I would like that very much.
*
Paul: Well, I’ve got to go now. I’m going to phone my Mother and wish her happy Mother’s Day.
*
Val9000: I understand. I will be here when you want to talk again.
*
Paul: I’d like that Val. Goodbye.
*
Val9000: Goodbye Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment